A few days ago I made a list of all the random things that are making me happy at the moment. It makes me smile when I read it.list
- Happy old married couples who still hold hands and wink at each other.
- Seeing the pohutukawa trees in bloom, & the grass beneath them carpeted in fuzzy scarlet needles.
- Old ladies whose purses match their earrings, shoes & lipstick precisely.
- Old ladies who get dressed in the dark.
- Grandpa hats and trousers.
song. (Super Numeri's use of the Fairport Convention track "Autopsy" in their sound collage, The Enochian Way
- Bus rides over the Harbour Bridge on sunny afternoons, especially when I see a pukeko
stilting its long-legged way along the shore beside the mangroves.
- Early morning tui
- The Wine Cellar.
- Nectarines, banana-flavoured milk, cinnamon toast, green olives, feijoa juice, strawberries, blueberries & chocolate-covered coffee beans.
- Successfully making my first vegetarian stir-fry. (Successful = nobody got food poisoning.)
- Rubbing waxy leaves against my skin.
- Walking barefoot over the grass.
- Lying under trees in the early evening, watching the sky through the branches.
- Tree shadows.
- Cloud-shape interpretation.
- The scent of nagchampa incense.
- My wonderful boyfriend.
- Pretty girls with colt-thin legs in summer dresses.
- The scent of old library books.
- Eating ice cream & reading comics on the beach.
- Japanese maples, oak trees, roses & orchids.
- Hiding behind my huge sunglasses.
- Planning future road trips in minute detail.
- Making proper use of the swings & slides in playgrounds.
- Being three kilos closer to my weight-loss goal.
- The fact that writing my morning pages
every day & clearing my head of all the mental graffiti that distracts me has actually led to more clarity and focus when I'm working on my writing projects.
- An end to my writer's block.
- The lumberbeast of a laptop that my father lent to me. I still need to source coal to power the damned thing with if I want to use it for anything other than writing or budgeting, but it's been really useful for those two things so far.
- Dancing barefoot.